Biomass Studios: Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best starting programming language in Unity

3 posters

Go down

Best starting programming language in Unity Empty Best starting programming language in Unity

Post  janpec1000 Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 am

Hey Jonathan and Ryan i got one question. One guy that i know is asking which language is best for starter in this engine. Which one is easier but scalable enough for decent game.
Thanks for answer.

janpec1000
Reggae Speed: Artist

Back to top Go down

Best starting programming language in Unity Empty Re: Best starting programming language in Unity

Post  --Account Deleted-- Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 am

The two main languages supported by Unity are Javascript and C# (Boo is also supported, but no one uses Boo at all, and as a programming language it is completely ridiculous). Your question about which one is more scalable is really irrelevant, because both languages run off the same API, specifically built for Unity, and they both run off the same function calls, and thus they are equally powerful.

I'd have to go with Javascript as the best language for a beginner. Most of Unity's Scripting Documentation and helpfiles are written specifically for someone programming in Javascript. We are currently using Javascript for Reggae Speed, simply because it is simpler. Although C# is another good option, C# has all these weird rules and restrictions(like the Class name has to be the same as the script name, and they all have to inherit MonoBehaviour from the object pool, and other such irritating things Crying or Very sad). However, although it might be easier to use Javascript, and though it makes sense to use it as a beginner to Unity, C# does have it's benefits. The reason that we used C# in our previous MMO project was because that C#s .NET framework is much easier to integrate with Server Systems, Databases and Hashtables. Writing it in C# also makes it easier to port the Unity Game to other APIs and systems, such as XNA (which is primarily C# based).

So all in all, I would recommend Javascript for an absolute beginner, but C# can also be very useful for Multiplayer Programming and some of the high-end stuff. In the long run, I recommend learning both Very Happy.

--Account Deleted--
EX Reggae Speed Programmer

https://biomass-forums.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Best starting programming language in Unity Empty Re: Best starting programming language in Unity

Post  --Account Deleted-- Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:41 am

Abhijeet, would you agree?

--Account Deleted--

Back to top Go down

Post  janpec1000 Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:27 am

Thx Jonathan will let him know.

janpec1000

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 am

well said jonathan.

I will like to add that the programming language is just a tool to express your ideas. Really what matters is how good(accurate & fast) you are at the logic and the algorithms.

Ryan
Reggae Speed: Programmer
Reggae Speed: Programmer

Back to top Go down

Post  --Account Deleted-- Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:39 am

Yep, that's true. By the way, how's that pickups script coming along? Just upload it onto our repository or onto some other file sharing system once you're done with it!

--Account Deleted--

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down